September 16th is the World Ozone Day!
Since the 1980s, the ozone layer has healed – which is a sign that political collaboration on a global level can bring about big changes. But it is not the time to stop, yet. Instead, it is time to act together: the ozone layer needs to be safeguarded, due to its importance in the fight against global heating.
On the occasion of WOD, ECO2 Consortium invites all citizens to take action for the climate and for the environment. And the great news is that we are not alone in this challenge.
UNEP, too, will support our initiative!
The Ozone Secretariat of UNEP (United Nations Environment Programme), in fact, is officially partaking in “ACT FOR THE CLIMATE ON WORLD OZONE DAY”, thus ensuring the event a much wider visibility and outreach, and contributing to its success.
Ms. Liazzat Rabbiosi, Programme Officer in UNEP Ozone Secretariat, will join the event and provide expert support during the live webinar. She has many years’ experience in UNEP Divisions and Programmes and, in particular, she dealt with the implementation of the Montreal Protocol and life-cycle based approaches for promoting green practices among SMEs in developing countries.
During the “ACT FOR THE CLIMATE ON WOD” event, participants will have the opportunity to learn about the synergies between ozone layer protection and energy efficiency best practices, and how they can implement them in their daily lives. A live webinar will be hosted with three experts: Mr Sotiris Papadelis (energy expert from HEBES), Ms Charlotte Koldbye (scientific journalist from DBT) and Ms Liazzat Rabbiosi (programme officer from UNEP). Besides answering participants’ questions, they will also discuss the political aspects of ozone layer protection and how this can be implemented in the current fight for the climate.
But the fundamental element ensuring the event’s success will be… YOU!
Your involvement and active role as a participant will make all the difference! So, what are you waiting for? Take action for the climate and host an event on World Ozone Day!
Participating is easy! Just follow these steps:
- Register: create an account on act4eco.eu
- Invite a small group of people (friends, colleagues, family members, neighbours…) to meet physically in total safety or online and host a local event in your community.
- When? September 16th, from 4:50 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
- Connect to Facebook live event (https://www.facebook.com/events/300425604300876 ) and learn how you can lower your CO2 level, while minimizing the impact on the ozone layer.
- A toolbox will be provided, containing questions and hints to kick-start the discussion: use it as a guide through the event.
- Go through the suggested ACT4ECO Actions to learn how to lower your energy consumption, while minimizing the impact on the ozone layer:
- If you have any question, ask them live to the expert panel
- Have fun!
And don’t forget to subscribe here: https://engagesuite.org/en/eco2/actions/8YV3Eo_jV30p/e/ymcZjwgPKhcW