Check out this article if you want to learn about solar photovoltaic systems! Here, we provide you with specific reasons for why you should consider installing a PV system in your home! Remember, you can always go through our solar energy action to learn more!
The term “photovoltaic” consists of two parts: the Greek word phos (genitive photos) meaning “light,” and volt, the unit of electromotive force (named after the Italian physicist Alessandro Volta, inventor of the battery). Photovoltaic can therefore be translated as “transforming light into electricity”. On ACT4ECO you will learn more about the solar photovoltaic technology that allows you to take advantage of the sunlight and use it to supply your home with electricity.
In this article, you will be learning about solar PV systems. We are confident that, by the end, you will be looking up telephone numbers of companies installing PV panels!
The advantages of solar energy
Did you know that Earth receives from the Sun 200.000 times more energy than world’s total daily electricity-generating capacity? Clearly, the potential is enormous. Unfortunately, the use of this energy is still limited due to the high cost of its collection, conversion and storage. Therefore, we still rely on fossil fuels, such as coal, petroleum and natural gas. These fuels will inevitably become exhausted in the coming decades, while solar energy is virtually inexhaustible.
There are many good reasons to install a solar PV system and produce your own electricity:
- Solar energy is environmentally friendly: there are no harmful emissions into the environment (such as CO2, CO, SO2, nitrogen oxides and other various heavy metals).
- Solar energy will save you money: not only will your monthly energy bill be lower – investment into a solar PV system will increase the value of your home.
- Your PV system can actually make money! The new EU rules oblige governments to ensure (as of 2021) that all producers of renewable energy receive a fair payment for the electricity they sell to the grid.
- Solar PV systems last very long: they will work without any problems for decades – that is why the majority of solar panels on today’s market come with a 25-year warranty. Panels don’t get damaged easily and are designed to withstand high winds and extreme weather conditions.
- Step into the future – today! The era of oil and coal is coming to its end, and the sooner, the better! Renewable energy produced in the EU increased by two thirds in 2007-2017. In 2017, 17.5% of all energy consumed in the EU came from renewable sources, approaching the 2020 target of 20%.
- No sunshine – no problem! Solar energy is generated from daylight, not sunlight, and the panels produce electricity even on cloudy and rainy days.
- Solar panels will keep your home cool in the summer heat. Sounds strange, but it is true – solar panels on your roof will soak up the sun’s rays, not allowing them to penetrate through the roof and heat up the building.
- To invest or not to invest, that is the question. Think for a moment that you are trying to decide whether to buy a home, or rent one. Either way, you won’t be able to keep your money. Similarly, the investment into solar energy means less money paid to the electricity provider.
If you are curious about how you can get started, visit Act4Eco’s action about solar panels!